Where is Dholavira?
When you look in the maps, you will see one island separated from the mainland in the Rann of Kutch Lake. That island is called Khadir Bet where bet means island. Now when the water in lake dries, you will see a layer of Salt all over the place. The last village of that island is Dholavira, an ancient village of Kutch rooted back to the Harappan Civilization.
Kutch is divided into 2 parts, Little Rann of Kutch & Great Rann of Kutch. Dholavira, Dhordo, Kalo Dungar etc, everything comes under Great Rann of Kutch or in short Rann of Kutch where you’ll find the White Desert.
How to reach Dholavira?
Nearest Railway Station is SamKhiyali which is 120 Kms far. This is also the main junction for buses. From Samkhiyali take a shared Taxi to Rapar which is the last biggest town in that region. From Rapar you can board shared Jeep/private bus for Dholavira. There is a Government bus runs between Bhuj and Dholavira. It starts from Bhuj at 01 PM and reaches Dholavira by 07 PM. And the same bus leaves the next day at 06 AM from Dholavira and reaches Bhuj by 01 PM.
What to see and experience near Dholavira?
- The highway that connects Khadir Bet(Dholavira) to the rest of the Kutch is 9 km long and you’ll see the best pristine white desert on both sides of the highway. On this highway, you can have early morning sunrise as well.
- The archaeological site, the metropolis remains of Harappan Civilization and Archaeological Museum
- Sunset at Dholavira Lake or Rann of Kutch Lake, 10 km ahead of Dholavira village. You’ll find the last BSF post at this place.
- Spot some migratory birds like Flamingoes at Dholavira Lake
- Fossil Park near Dholavira Lake
- Experience white desert during Full Moon
- Unique Kutchi Culture, handicraft and cuisine of Dholavira.
- Musicians of Dholavira are very famous and won the award at the national level.
.. and more.